Monday, May 11, 2009

Inspired by Sylvia Plath

Inspired by Sylvia, and submitted as part of my college Lit final...got an A+!!!

Every woman adores a Fascist.
Is that why I was drawn to you rapidly,
why I came back to you repeatedly?
Though my body never suffered under your hand,
my heart was painfully bruised;
My soul nearly died as it was beaten down.
Soon I felt even less than unworthy.
I felt no one could ever love me but you,
which is what you wanted me to believe.
Then, when I met another who was determined to show me how important I could be,
You fell upon me, attempting to quell my rebellion with the turn of a screw.
I was ensnared so heavily by your silver tongue that I threw away my only chance for freedom--
Left him there and came once more to you;
once more I found myself in the pits of Hell.
When I at last gathered the strength to escape and ran to him who had once offered shelter,
I found him gone, tired of watching me destroy myself.
For it was me all along, not you--the life I had was the one I had chosen.
© 1982 TDD

No comments:

Post a Comment